Friday, October 17, 2008

Fortune Cookie

I opened up my Bible today and out fell a fortune from a cookie I ate a month ago.

It reads: Der Humor bringt Dich in schwierigen Situationen weiter, verliere ihn nicht.

Oh great, I can't read German.

Wait a minute...I flip it over and...

In English this time: Don't lose your sense of humor. It helps you through difficult situations.

Finally a fortune cookie that tells the truth. I have to remember this for times such as when I forget to label the prices on my fruits and vegetables and I have to struggle through my limited Czech to tell the girl at information about my slip up while the entire line waits for me. Or the times when I get on the wrong train and end up miles away from where I want to be. Or how about when I get yelled at in Czech because I am texting and standing in someone's way but don't realize it because I have no idea what she is saying. Each day I face moments where my foreignness makes me feel ignorant and foolish. But I take heart. Really all I can do is laugh. Thanks fortune for reminding me.

No comments: