Monday, October 6, 2008

List #2: Thanksgiving

I find at times when it seems things seem difficult, when I would rather mourn that which I don't have, it is better to be deliberately thankful. These are some things I am genuinely thankful for right now here in the Czech.

1) My roommates: Leah and Bonnie
2) My fellow ESI's
3) Erin 
4) Melissa
5) My Strakonice girls: Eva, Naomi, Lucka, Leni, Zuzka, Kakuse, Jana, Lydie, Hanicka, and so many more lovely ladies that teach me and encourage me.
6) Great neighbors: Alca and Martin
7) Friends and family that I know are praying for me and love me back home
8) Conversations on Skype at 1am
9) All the JV staff
10) Exit 316 Club
11) Elim Church and Youth Group
12) Getting emails from people I care about
13) The beautiful Czech countryside
14) Having time to simply love people
15) That my job is to build relationships
16) No homework
17) I have time to read
18) The All Star Girl's Bible study
19) The fact that I am growing up through staying young
20) The simple wisdom and encouragement of teenage girls
21) Cesky Budejovice Youth Group! (Kikina, Marketa, Martina, Dr. Eddy, Sarka, Anicka, Bara, Katka, Lukas, Marek, Honza and Petr H., and so many more awesome people!)
22) Trains
23) Having time to really think
24) Being humbled by everyday tasks (i.e. grocery shopping, going to the store, sending a letter, etc.)
25) My lovely flat and the park outside
26) Having more than I need
27) The fact that my roommates are always willing to eat my cooking experiments even when they fail miserably
28) Tea houses
29) That everyday I learn something new
30) That I can finally understand a lot of what I hear
31) Leah's translating abilities
32) Great Indian food
33) Learning how to be a conservationist Czech style. This culture is so creative with how they reduce, reuse, and recycle. I even turned a spaghetti jar into a fancy change container.
34) Laughing and making random comments with Leah when we watch movies
35) The leaves changing colors
36) Everyone in Tabor, especially Lenka
37) For being part of something bigger than myself
38) Being able to travel around CZ to visit old friends
39) God's abundant goodness and provision
40) families that shower their hospitality on me and show me what it means to live in community

I think that is enough for now. I am thankful that there are so many more things I have to be thankful about.

No comments: